Sunday, April 10, 2011

An Ethnic Day, including Martha.

I felt a little better today;  took it easy in the morning and just hung around the hotel, lounging around.
Later, I took the subway to the Fashion Institute of America  where they had several fashion collections (FIT)  I really love fashion exhibits, to see clothing through the ages.   This one was o.k., but not a very large collection.   Still, it was all I could fiind, as the big one at the Met is apparently closed momentarily.

When I finished there, I was on my way to walk to Chelsea, and saw a sign that said "Martha Stewart", indicating her studios.  So, I walked by, and saw a short line of people.  When I asked what was going on, they said they were about to go in to see a taping of her show, and someone handled me an extra ticket!   I was the last person they let in.  Oh, it was fun and interesting.   Beautiful sets, and so interesting to see how they tape a show.  It is so practiced and organized, of course, you would think that with Martha.   She would be "on", during a segment, then would just stop, say a few words to her guest, and then, sort of shut down.   Though I hear she can be rather bitchy, it did occur to me that she had six segments to tape, so she really had to conserve her energy and focus inward to prepare for the next guest.   She'd move from set to set, as would all the stuff she'd need for that segment.    They did give away freebies, but it was mostly pretty lame--dog bones, and stuff from minwax.    (leftovers from the day's guests)

After this, I did walk to Chelsea, which is very close.  Wanted to see The Chelsea Market.   I loved this place, it is a foodies haven!   I liked it much better than "Eataly", a new place that is all Italian stuff, and much more yuppy.   The Chelsea Market has been there forever.chelseamarket    The bakeries are actually there on site, as well as the stores.  I bought a few treats, for dessert and for breakfast the next day.   There are bakeries, a huge fish store, an Italian store, a meat store, etc. and all the shops have food you can take out.  It is a huge area, takes up an entire city block.   I really liked this.

Got back to hotel, met Dan, traded info about what we'd done all day.   Adam then picked us up and drove us to Williamsburg to meet their cousin, John, at a Polish restaurant.   Krnik?    It was really, really good!  Very authentic.   The 3 of them ate  ALOT!   John ordered salmon tartare as an appetizer, which was delicious, something I never thought I'd like.  Dan will add on the right name and what everyone ate, I don't really know the right names.   I didn't eat much, didn't feel well, but loved the place.
John had a big bag with them, and when we left, I asked him what it was.  Well, it was his BIKE!   It collapsed into a case!   He quickly put it together, and rode home.

A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment