Friday, February 11, 2011

On the road again

Well we started the year with sadness. My Father passed away  on Dec 28 and we had the funeral on Jan 3 2011. He was 88 and lived a long life. R.I.P. Florian.
During the funeral time, I was offered a consulting opportunity with the New York City Public Schools. It is a great opportunity and requires me to be in New York City for five weeks. It looks like they may now extend that for a couple of more weeks in March. The first four weeks have been exciting. I started out with training in Springfield Massachusetts, then came to New York. They fly me back to Traverse City on Fridays and then I return to NY on Sundays. I have two more weeks then we will go to California for three weeks, then back to NY for one week. Pat joined me this week, and she has enjoyed museums and shopping while I am working. We have had some great food, but so far our favorite is Armando's in Brooklyn. An old time Brooklyn restaurant which was a hang out of Marilyn Monroe, Bogie, and many others. Pat loved the Lasagna. We will return. I have found various neighborhood bars and restaurants that give you a good meal for the price.
We are being housed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott. It is very convenient to the subways, and is in Brooklyn Heights, which has many neighborhood restaurants and bars, An added bonus is that it is less than one mile from Adam's house, so I have gotten to see him quite a bit. He even cooked a meal for Pat and me when she was here.
So far I have been to schools in Flushing NY (Queens), Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx. We are helping schools implement a new electronic IEP. The NY public school bureaucracy is quite daunting, but we are getting through it. 1.25 million students, 1600 schools, 225,000 IEP's per year. Quite an operation.
This segment of the training is over, so now it's off to San Francisco. I return to New York on March 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment