Saturday, May 12, 2012

Jimmy Stewart Channeled through Pat

Full disclosure--I get Vertigo.  Glass elevators, narrow staircases going up to narrow towers are not my friend.
We went to the Astrological Tower today to take in the view from the Tower, as well as the Underground rooms, where I believe, rebels hid out during the Nazi occupation.
Astrological Clock Prague
We had to buy the tickets separately, so we bought the Tower first, as the clock was about to do it's hourly thing.    I tried.  I really tried.  There was a glass elevator to take at first, just up a few flights, then you could either take another elevator or walk up.  I thought I could walk up.  The elevator was a round shaped thing that went up a narrow, middle column in the middle.  The staircase was a series of ramps that went round and round and round, with the elevator shaft open in the middle.  Narrow, very narrow.  I clung to the handrail on the way up, barking at Dan to take pictures of it, then running off so I could get up there and get this walk over with!

Inside of the Astrological clock tower
He finally caught up with me as my panic began to mount, then I clung to his hand for the remainder of the way---except it wasn't.   There was a narrow, spiral staircase that went up to the top.   I could not do it!  Dan tried to urge me---hint---don't ever try to urge a person with vertigo!   We will not listen!   I told him to go up, I'd go down and meet him.  I said I was o.k. to do that.  He said, "no, you are not!"   But I was, I am o.k. going down and I wanted him to be able to see the top.   So he did, and I descended as fast as I could, hugging the stone wall.   This hasn't happened since I tried to go up the Eiffel Tower, and could only get to the second floor.    Brrrr.  Sorry if this is long, but it's therapeutic to write it.  We did not go to the Underground.  This was enough!
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment