Friday, May 18, 2012

The Last Day and now some Philosophizing

We are now in our Hilton Garden Inn room at the Frankfurt airport, and will be leaving tomorrow.  We got here early to settle in, turn in the car, and reconfigure any packing we have to do.


We will probably take a local train into the city of Frankfurt, though I just heard there is an "Occupy" demonstration occurring in t he center of it, and was advised not to go in!

This airport complex, and I do mean a complex, is absolutely huge!  Everything is modern, glassed in walls, glass structured domed ceilings, a sense of hugeness all over.
We walked around the airport, as it has a mall in it, though not many stores.    We feel like we are in a Jetson episode, or a science fiction novel! There are train stations, shops, restaurants and a huge parking structure.

 It has been a wonderful time;   I was hesitant to go to Central Europe, concerned about conveniences, language barriers, and general ease of travel.   Did not find that at all, in fact, just the opposite.   Poland, especially, was as clean as anything, and the people very accomodating.  The younger people all speak English.    Everywhere we went in the 4 countries was easy, easier than I've found in the past, though not so Americanized to not be unique.

I was particularly struck by our experiences in Poland.   It is still hard to process, visiting the places where our families came from.   Meeting Dan's family was so wonderful---Natasha just kept hugging me and I felt myself doing the same.

Going to Krynki was amazing for me.  I never had expected or even planned to go, but then my one cousin, George S went and gathered so much information about our roots, presenting it to our whole family.   When Dan decided he wanted to go to Poland, I decided to go there too, to Krynki.    It was very effecting, especially that void---that no Jews are left.    I felt that so much in Poland!   It is also true in other countries, but I felt it there.  I felt very comforted that both The Czech Republic and Poland acknowledged that fact, and has made it part of their living history, and their tourist attractions.

To sum this feeling up, let me say that when we were in Poland, we saw many people that looked like Dan, or his family members, or other people we know.   But we saw no one who looked like me, in any of the countries.

The other meaningful experience I had was going to that museum of Communism in Prague, and seeing what is left of that area both in Poland and Prague.  It is devastating.   The buildings that are left are bland, look like prisons that house tons of people and the towns have little character left.   Life was difficult under the Soviets, these countries truly had a double whammy during and after WWII. I may add other thoughts after we return to the USA.
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment