Saturday, May 5, 2012

May 5 , Saturday wanderings and salt

File:Krakow Wolnica 20070804 1034.jpg
Original town hall Kazimierick 15th century
In the morning, wandered around Kazimierz, the old Jewish district. As it was Saturday, and the Sabbath, the graveyards were closed, but we got to peek in them.  Just walked around this area, which is actually quite lovely.   It is disturbing, however, as one is always aware of how there are so few Jews there now, and how many there were.  It is difficult to go to Krakow without that knowledge, at least for me.  Dan agrees with that, he says he feels the same way.   Such a noticeable void.   I love it that the city of Krakow, and possibly the country of Poland, has made a point of bringing this to the attention of their own history and current situation.  This makes me feel comfortable, something I was somewhat concerned about.
We then wandered around the Wawel Castle.  Didn't really have the time for a  tour, plus I am feeling a bit flu-ish, so I didn't have the energy.   It is a fascinating place, and I would love a tour of it should I come back.   It has so much history--so may different eras of history took place as the castle was built on.  I kept thinking of Ken Follett's books about the medieval times, The Pillars of the Earth and his follow up to that.
We saw a street fair going on in the streets below near the river, and wandered around there.  Dan had a kielbasa, which I tried too, it was very, very good.  I saw some popcorn, and got some of that.  It was very, very not good!  I think it was made with lard---really not good!
In the afternoon, we took a tour of the Wieliczka Salt Mines.  Oh, this was fascinating.
We had to walk down about 60  flights of stairs to get down to the first level, and during the tour, kept walking down.   When we began down the stairs, if you had the guts to look over the banister, you looked down into practically nothingness, it was so far down!   I could not look down easily, short of snuck a glance.  Oy vay!
wieclicza
We ate dinner at a Polish/Italian restaurant, and it was very good.  Had a plain oil and vinegar salad and some lasagna.  It tasted very good to both of us, especially the salad. My stomach needed a rest, so this comfort food was good.
By the way, we have not met many Americans here, but have met many Norweigans.
Pat

1 comment:

  1. Sue and I toured the salt mine when we were in Poland several years ago. Fascinating, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete